ICYMI: NRDC Again Outlines Why Rooftop Solar Subsidy Program Should be Updated: “…if left unchecked will make it harder to achieve California’s climate and air quality goals.”
Posted on November 23, 2021
SACRAMENTO – In a new blog post, climate experts at the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) review the Net Energy Metering (NEM) discussion and lay out four key reasons why NEM should be updated. Note: NRDC is not a member of Affordable Clean Energy for All.
- “…as the solar market has boomed in California and solar costs have dropped, it is time to update this policy to avoid inequitable impacts that if left unchecked will make it harder to achieve California’s climate and air quality goals.
- “A solution is possible that values the contribution of rooftop solar to California’s clean energy future, while more fairly sharing electric system costs among all customers.”
They outline four key reasons for reform and go into detail on each point in the blog:
“As a NEM 3.0 proposed decision looms, here are four key-points to consider:
- “Rooftop solar customers are pushing electric system costs onto non-solar customers
- “NEM benefits have largely gone to wealthier customers
- “It is vital to equity and climate progress to ensure affordable electric rates
- “Smart policy can support the continued growth of rooftop solar while achieving more equitable outcomes.”